There’s only a million different ways to say how vexed the announcement of apple’s iPad makes me. Not quite as angry as the announcement of Left 4 Dead 2, but pretty close.
First of all, it’s not an iPod, it’s not a Laptop, it’s hardly a computer at all…AND IT STILL DOESN’T HAVE FLASH capabilities…honestly if I can’t check my Cafe World app on Facebook than Apple can take their iPad and suck it.
let’s take a look at technical aspects of the iPad:
9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
7.47 inches (189.7 mm)
0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
1.5 pounds (0.68 kg) Wi-Fi model;
1.6 pounds (0.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model
# 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
# 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
* 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive
* 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip
* Ambient light sensor
* Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
* Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
* User-configurable maximum volume limit
TV and video
* Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite Cable
* H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Mail attachment support
* Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)
* Support for playback of closed-captioned content
* VoiceOver screen reader
* Full-screen zoom magnification
* White on black display
* Mono audio
Battery and power4
* Built-in 25 Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
* Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
* Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system
Input and output
* Dock connector
* 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
* Built-in speaker
* SIM card tray (Wi-Fi + 3G model only)
External buttons and controls
* On/Off, Sleep/wake
* Volume up/down
* Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
* Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
* Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
There’s absolutely nothing there that makes me say OMFG I NEED ONE OF THOSE.
Kotaku wen’t ape when the iPad was released and for what reason? I have an iPod touch, I LOVE my iPod touch, but NOVA sucks, Chinatown Wars Touch sucks, doodle jump sucks, sudoku, chess, blah blah , the list does not end honestly, these just are not gaming devices
perhaps with the larger screen area controls vs viewing area will work better, but there’s alot that has to be put into this if apple wants to seriously make this a gaming device.
I don’t understand why other news and gaming outlets talk about the iPad like it’s a gaming device, they did the same thing with iPod touch and iPhone and there is very little gaming to be done on those devices…you don’t buy an itouch or iphone for games, plain and simple.
Moving along to the next thing that irks me about the iPad…other than the name,
ok no we’ll pause for the name.
Somewhere Steve Jobs has a poor kid he’s been holding hostage since birth. This child’s speech hasn’t developed very far and most of what he says is random gibberish. The job of naming Apple’s new devices has apparently fallen to him, there’s just no other way to explain the constant stream of iThis and iThats that they are putting out.
see the list goes on and on
i was at least hoping iSlate would be the official name, iPad just sounds…well all jokes aside, it just doesn’t grab your attention and say HEY I CAN DO A WHOLE LOTTA STUFF!!!
where was I?
Oh yeah, so they also announced that there will be 2 models of each iPad, one with 3G service and one without 3G service. This is pretty awesome…in fact it’s downright brilliant, however the structure of the service is what gets me.
first of all, each 3G capable iPad is UNLOCKED. That’s right, you can purchase an iPad and use it with any carrier that will support it on their network. The catch is that the iPad uses a new, smaller than normal SIM card and to date I only know of one provider offering those SIMS…AT&T (i may be wrong, correct me if I am)
Ok…sooo you decided to release an unlocked iPad…WHAT ABOUT THE iPhone!?!?!? now I absolutely have to switch to AT&T? The only reason i don’t have an iPhone yet is because I was waiting for the Apple event this week. We had heard that apple was purchasing special chips whose purpose was allowing for use on verizon’s network, apparently it’s for this iPad thing, GRRRR!
Anyways, out of the box your iPad will give you the option of using the AT&T network for your 3G service…WITHOUT A CONTRACT. This is the only thing about the iPad that makes me say HOLY CRAP. There is a 250mb for $19.99 a month option or an unlimited data plan for $29.99. Note these are Data plans, the iPad is NOT a phone, however you will have apps such as Skype that you can use for VOIP and such, i’m sure a phone app will come eventually as well.
i have an iPod touch, i got it for Christmas, and i’ve wanted an iPhone ever since i got this darn thing…now what am I supposed to do, development for ipod touch and iPhone apps certainly will take a backseat to dev for the iPad as the iPad is bigger, better, faster, etc etc etc.
i buy a white wii, the black ones are announced, i buy an xbox 360, the price drops 3 weeks later, i buy a wii, wal mart drops the price on that 50$ like 2 weeks later, you see the trend?
i’m just tired of new tech so quickly. Games, tech, consoles, pc’s, it all moves so fast how am I supposed to afford to keep up with all of this?
step 1 move to texas
step 2 sell Britt’s kidney’s on the black market
step 3 profit
Apple iPad here I come!